The Romans established a major camp here on the River Dee, to protect the surrounding fertile farmland from marauding Welsh tribesmen. Much of the original Roman wall survives, but there are also medieval additions to the walls, when many of the towers and gates were added. There is a two mile path right round the battlements.
Chester's galleried streets, known as "The Rows", date from the Middle Ages. Shops open onto balustraded walkways which have to be reached by steps from the street.
The city has some fine timbered inns and half-timbered buildings dating from Tudor times.
The red sandstone cathedral dates from the 14th century, and was a Benedictine Abbey until its dissolution in 1540, becoming the cathedral for the new diocese of Chester the following year.
Return to Lake District and North West England Lake District and North West England page